Coconut Iced Coffee
California’s infamous ‘May Gray’ cannot seem to contain summer this year. With daytime temps in the high 70s already (on the coast!) I’ve been craving iced coffee. Starbucks had a coconut iced coffee for like two weeks in 2013 and it was one of my favorites! I’m still wondering why they discontinued it, anyone know? Am I the only one in the world who ordered it? Maybe.
Instead of spending $4 to have a moody barista try and recreate it, I thought I’d give it a try on my own. I’ve tried several variations, and I think I finally have it down. I love using mason jars to whip up iced coffee because you can use the lid to shake up the ingredients which creates a frothy texture. Coconut adds an extra dose of sunshine to your morning until the fog breaks.
- Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate (I’ve recently started making my own, or you can get it from Trader Joes!)
- Water (to dilute the concentrate)
- Coconut Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups water
- OR use trusty ol Torani
ALL ingredients to taste! If you don’t want milk, or like it more sweet, or like your coffee to punch you in the face, you have the control to make that happen.
1. Bring Coconut Simple Syrup ingredients to a rolling boil and stir constantly to avoid burning the sugars. Reduce as desired. Cool and strain. I like to stain my syrups using a French press. Store in refrigerator.
2. Layer desired amounts of coffee concentrate, milk, water and syrup in a mason jar
3. Put the lid on and shake shake shake!
4. Add your favorite crazy straw in the jar and enjoy
I’d love to hear your variations on this! Happy SUMMER everyone!